I have a rule for making New Year’s resolutions: they have to be exciting and positive; not restricting ones you will most likely break by mid-March. In case you haven’t made any yet, here are five universal ones that we can all embrace this time of year.
1. Make plans. Big ones. Everywhere I go lately I hear my friends telling me their plans to learn to kite board, travel the world, become a teacher, perform onstage, and more. Making plans is a great way to figure out what you want and what makes you happy.
2. Engage in a creative endeavor that makes you happy and pushes you out of your comfort zone. Take a look around many of the items at a. ell atelier—paintings, bikinis, jewelry, bags—most of these successful businesses started from people simply deciding to carve out time doing something they loved. The First Saturday event each month is flocking with musicians, artisans, foodies and more, taking their creativity to the streets.
3. Spend time with the right people. For me, that means more time with family, and working with people who are passionate about helping the community. Luckily I get a two-for-one with this blog, working with my sis and her company.
4. Get smarter. One of the coolest things about being a writer is constantly educating oneself on new topics. Learning new things expands your universe, and with this blog I invite you, readers, learn with me. I will share new exciting info each month on everything from eco-fabric news, to the backstory on your favorite local artist, to trivia questions, giveaways and more.
5. Spend your money wisely. That means buying local, so your money goes back into the island economy. In fact, mention this blog and get 10% off anything in the store, or enter the code NEWYEAR for any online purchases at www.aelldesign.com from now until Jan. 16th. (Excludes previously purchased items, formal wear and fine art.)